All electricity produces electric and magnetic fields (EMF) and our transmission lines are no different. Some people have concerns surrounding the perceived health effects of EMF exposure, and numerous studies have been undertaken internationally on the subject.
If you have concerns over EMF levels from one of our lines over your land, you may find the factsheets below useful. Alternatively you can contact us directly.
* The National Policy Statement and National Environmental Standard on Electricity Transmission are instruments under the Resource Management Act to manage the environmental effects associated with electricity transmission. These apply the 1998 EMF health protection guidelines of the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) to manage EMF associated with transmission lines. The ICNIRP re-issued their guidelines in 2010, revising the public exposure limit for magnetic field from 100 to 200 µT (micro tesla) and NZ Ministry of Health recommend the revised limit. However the 1998 guidelines apply to electricity transmission until the above RMA instruments are revised by the Ministry for the Environment.
The New Zealand Ministry of Health also provide information in its publication ‘Electric and Magnetic Fields and Your Health’ which can be found here.
- Please call us on 0508 526 369.
Electricity transmission as well as many electrical appliances, produces electric and magnetic fields (EMF) of extremely low frequency.
- EMF Factsheet 1 - Electric and Magnetic Fields and Transpower [ pdf 334.78 KB ]
This factsheet describes the nature of electric and magnetic fields particularly as they relate to electricity transmission.
- EMF Factsheet 2 - The nature of electric and magnetic fields [ pdf 629.67 KB ]
This fact sheet provides information on typical electric and magnetic field levels found in the environment including around transmission facilities.
- EMF Factsheet 3: Electric and magnetic field strengths [ pdf 654 KB ]
This fact sheet discusses the health effects of electric and magnetic fields.
- EMF Factsheet 4: Health effects and electric and magnetic fields [ pdf 464.99 KB ]
This fact sheet provides the international and national consensus on safety guidelines for electric and magnetic field exposures
- EMF Factsheet 5: Safety guidelines for electric and magnetic fields [ pdf 637.37 KB ]
Transpower is aware that electric and magnetic fields associated with its transmission network can raise concerns with the public.
The safety of the public and our staff is fundamental to