Transpower, as grid owner, has major outages of the HVDC poles scheduled in January to April 2020. Due to the extended period of these outages information and industry communication from the system operator will be published on this page.
These outages are required to:
- reconductor the Churton Park section of the HVDC BEN-HAY circuits 1 & 2
- replace Pole 2 control system equipment (VBE) at HAY and BEN converter stations and undertake the associated system testing required
- undertake maintenance and inspections of HVDC equipment.
The outages can be viewed on POCP. Any changes to these outages will be communicated through POCP. A calendar view of the outage is available below.
HVDC 2020 Outage Calendar [ pdf 348.4 KB ]
Industry Briefings and Presentations
- Outage Planning Forum, March 2019. The relevant slides relating to this presentation can be found here [ pdf 771.21 KB ].
- Industry Briefing July 2019
- A CAN [ 311.9 KB ] was sent out to industry advising of an industry briefing to take place in July 2019.
New Zealand Generation Balance (NZGB)
The System Operator publishes monthly reports of the NZGB for the next 200 days. These reports can be found on the NZGB website
Due to the significant period of these outages, the system operator has completed additional assessments for these outages. An overview of the assessments as at July 2019, was included in the July 2019 NZGB report.