Transpower, as grid owner, has major outages of the HVDC poles scheduled in January to April 2020. Due to the extended period of these outages information and industry communication from the system operator will be published on this page.
These outages are required to:
- reconductor the Churton Park section of the HVDC BEN-HAY circuits 1 & 2
- replace Pole 2 control system equipment (VBE) at HAY and BEN converter stations and undertake the associated system testing required
- undertake maintenance and inspections of HVDC equipment.
We will provide a regular brief update on the HVDC outage work.
10 March 2020
- The HVDC (Pole 3) outage began on 27 February as scheduled. Wiring of the HVDC transmission line across Churton Park in Wellington and HVDC Pole 3 scheduled maintenance works began that day.
- The Valve Based Electronics (VBE) works that were completed on Pole 2 continue to perform as expected.
- Work at all sites is progressing as planned.
- The works planned during the Bi-pole outage on 7 March were completed, and the next Bi-pole outage is scheduled for 21 March.
The outages can be viewed on POCP. Any changes to these outages will be communicated through POCP. A calendar view of the outage is available below.
HVDC 2020 Outage Calendar [ pdf 30.03 KB ]
On 25th July the bipole outages were moved from weekdays to weekends as per the CAN below. This change is in response to System Operator advice based on possible tight generation margins when the bipole outages were scheduled on weekdays.
Industry Briefings and Presentations
- Industry Briefing July 2019 [ pdf 1.19 MB ]
- Industry Briefing July 2019 - supplementary on FKC [ PDF 670.89 KB ]
- HVDC Transfer Limits – supplementary information [ pdf 541.25 KB ]
- Industry Briefing October 2019 [ pdf 2.54 MB ]
- Industry Teleconference December 2019 [ pdf 701.39 KB ]
Links to Additional Information
- The System Operator publishes monthly reports of the NZGB for the next 200 days. Due to the significant period of these outages, the system operator has completed additional assessments for these outages in our monthly reports. These reports can be found on the NZGB website.
- Information related to Security of Supply can be found on Transpower’s website here.
- Information on gas industry outages can be found on the Gas Industry Co website here.
- North Island only Simulated Storage Trajectories – the system operator is providing an additional hydro storage scenario to understand the risk extremely low North Island hydro storage could have on capacity and energy. To understand the likelihood of this occurring we modelled North Island only Simulated Storage Trajectories and for purposes of transparency have made this available to industry here. [ pdf 950.14 KB ] This will only be updated if the situation becomes an issue.
A full set of common questions we have received from industry along with our responses in available of our HVDC 2020 Outage Q&A page.