Four key transmission lines cross the Rangitata River supplying the Upper South Island (USI) and HVDC circuit. The flooding of this river on 8 December 2019 led to 9 transmission towers on the Islington-Livingstone section of the line sustaining extensive damage. Due to the extended period of time that it is expected to take to permanently repair the line, information from the System Operator will be published on this page.
At this stage, a temporary line will be erected as an interim solution until the section is permanently repaired. The temporary line is expected to be operational by April.
This page will:
- Contain notifications that have been sent out to industry participants.
- Contain minutes and presentations from industry briefings.
The image below shows the area that is defined as Upper South Island (USI)
Industry briefings and presentations
- Meeting minutes from the Customer conference call on 16/12/19 [ pdf 145.49 KB ].
- Slide deck from the USI Operational Working Group teleconference call on 18/12/19 [ pdf 436.41 KB ]
- Meeting minutes from the Customer conference call on 20/12/19 [ pdf 138.65 KB ]
- Meeting minutes from the Customer conference call on 22/1/20 [ pdf 664.45 KB ]
Customer Advice Notices (CANs)
- CANs related to the Rangitata flooding event can be found here: