On this page
The Electronic Dispatch Facility (EDF) is the component of the Market System that sends dispatch instructions to, and receives acknowledgements from generators and reserve providers. Participants are required to use the GENCO to receive and acknowledge these dispatch instructions.
Industry participants have highlighted issues they are experiencing with the current dispatch management arrangement. These include:
- Current reliability issues with the dispatch management system, which limits optimal dispatch operation;
- Current ISD communications protocol and GENCO software inhibiting innovation and efficiencies to the market in light of a changing market environment;
- The communications protocol being a barrier to entry for new dispatch participants to fully participate in the market, which limits market competition; and
- The current dispatch management system not being flexible and scalable for effective implementation of changes to dispatch.
The New Zealand electricity market environment is changing with emerging business models, increasing uptake of new technologies and evolving market arrangements.
In this context, industry participants and Transpower have observed a growing need to refresh the dispatch system to enable more optimal dispatch management and enable the increase of market participation, and the uptake of new dispatch products and functionality as the electricity market is evolving.
The Dispatch Service Enhancement Project (previously known as the Electronic Dispatch Facility (EDF) Phase III Project) is commencing its initial phase after the Electricity Authority granted appropriation funding following an investigation in 2016/17.
The project will introduce alternate communication protocols and remove the requirement for participants to use the GENCO for receiving and acknowledging dispatch instructions. This will be a stepping stone towards greater participation in a market that is moving fast with the uptake of new technology, while at the same time providing a more flexible and secure dispatch management service.
During the initial phase, we will work through the solution approach and high level design in more detail to give industry participants clarity on the proposed solution interface. The project is expected to be completed mid-2019.
We are keen to continue engaging with industry participants and will host an industry workshop early in the new year to share and discuss our solution approach in more detail. See how to get involved? for further information.
The project will provide:
- Alternate communications protocols, both ICCP and Web Services, to enable current dispatch participants who use ICCP to consolidate their communications, and to enable smaller participants, for whom ICCP is not cost-effective, to be able to participate fully in the market and use a protocol that that best fits their dispatch operation and their level of investment.
- Dispatch configuration changes, which will enable a more comprehensive dispatch service through enabling new dispatch products and/or functionality to be implemented effectively and related dispatch information to be shared to inform decision-making.
- Dual network redundancy for dispatch participants currently on a single network route connection through the GENCO One Office IPV.
The project does not include the transition of current participants to alternate communications protocols or connection to potential new. The actual transition of participants will occur after the project is completed.
Transpower will work with participants to transition them once participants are ready to move off their GENCO.
If you are:
- an industry participant using GENCO;
- an Interruptible Load (IL) provider/generator using a trading agent to provide dispatch; or
- a potentially new dispatch participant
And if you would like to be directly involved in discussions in the new year as the project progresses, please provide your contact details to the Project Manager, Marije Postma.
|Electricity Authority Website - Consultation documentation (consultation is closed)|
|EDF Phase III - Investment Decision [ pdf 1.03 MB ]|
For further information on the Dispatch Service Enhancement Project, contact Marije Postma, the System Operator Project Manager.